Instagram is one of our most favourite platforms, and for obvious reasons. It’s the most visual of all social media outlets, and you can be in total creative control of what you share. For most people, Instagram is just a way of sharing their lives with their family and friends. But for photographers and fashion creatives worldwide, it’s one of the biggest ways of getting your work seen by potential clients, and magazines. So obviously, you’re going to want to grow your following, right?! Well, we’ve been active on Instagram for quite a while now, and with (almost!) 30K followers on our account, we think we’ve learnt a few things that could help you all grow your feeds too.
- Post Consistently: One of my biggest tips is to be extremely consistent in how often you post. The more consistent you are, the more people will be able to expect content from you! When it comes to Atlas, we make sure to post at least 2 times a day. We aim for three, but sometimes life gets in the way. But by being as consistent as we have been for 3 years, we’ve seen incredible growth, and our audience know that they can expect content from us.
- Interact: There’s absolutely no point in posting loads of images, and just hoping people will magically like and comment on your posts. The easiest way to get people interested in what you’re posting is to comment on their content as well. So be friendly, tell people you love what they’re doing, make conversation. You’ll be surprised by how many reciprocate the effort with your content too.
- Use Hashtags: Hashtags are golden when you’re wanting to build an Instagram following. The way we like to use them is buried in the comments section. No idea what I’m talking about? Simply write the caption for your images, publish it, and then go to leave a comment, and type your hashtags into there. Hashtags are nothing to be ashamed of, they’re just an easier way for people to find your content, however they can be ugly. So do your beautiful images a favour and keep them hidden! Not sure which hashtags to use? Read our article on the best hashtags to use to grow your Instagram following!
- Tell A Story: It’s so easy to think that you can just type something meaningless into the caption area of your photo, and you might get away with it occasionally, but here’s the thing, people love a story. So take the opportunity you have with the caption for your image to tell your audience a real story. Could you tell them about the model you photographed? Or what went into the creation of that dress? Do you have a funny story you can tell about the day of the photoshoot? Create something that your audience can connect with, and you’ll make them want to continue to hear your stories in future.
- Curate: Now, you don’t need to necessarily have an “all white” theme for your images, but curation is key when it comes to your feed. People will make a decision on whether to follow you or not based on the top 9 images on your feed. If they get there and see something curated, thought out and beautiful, I guarantee they’ll be more likely to click follow. However if everything is a big mess, with no real flow, they’ll be far less likely to connect. So use an app my UNUM to plan for your feed, and see how everything sits next to each other!
We hope these tips have been helpful! Let us know what else you’d like to learn during our Tip Tuesdays, and whether these have helped you to grow your Instagram followings!
Love the images from this weeks Tip Tuesday? Thank you to Lisa S Town of G+L. See the original editorial here!